Hoya plants are a varied group of tropical plants that are part of the dogbane family, Apocynaceae. They have other names like wax plants, porcelain flowers, or honey plants because of their waxy leaves and fragrant flowers. Hoya plants come from Asia and Australia, where they live in different places, such as trees, rocks, or soil. They have different shapes, from vines and creepers to shrubs and bushes.
Hoya plants have many beautiful features that make them liked as houseplants. They have evergreen leaves that can be shiny or dull, smooth or hairy, green or multicolored. They make groups of star-shaped flowers that have many colors, such as yellow, orange, pink, white, and purple. Some hoya flowers have a nice smell that can make the room smell good.
Types of Hoya Plants Online
- Hoya Tsangii Odetteae: This hoya has long, narrow leaves with silver spots and veins that give it a striking appearance. It blooms with pink and white flowers that have a sweet scent. It likes bright light and dry soil.
- Hoya Carnosa: This is one of the most common and easy-to-grow hoya varieties. It has thick, oval-shaped leaves that are dark green or variegated with white or pink. It produces clusters of pink or white flowers that have a pleasant fragrance and last for a long time. Hoya carnosa can be grown as a hanging plant or trained on a trellis or hoop. It likes bright indirect light and moderate watering.
- Hoya Carnosa Chelsea : This is a cultivar of hoya carnosa that has cupped leaves with wavy edges that look like seashells. It also has pink or white flowers that smell like honey. Hoya carnosa Chelsea is a great choice for a hanging plant, as it can cascade down beautifully. It likes bright indirect light and well-draining soil.
- Hoya Carnosa Compacta, Hindu Rope: This is another cultivar of hoya carnosa that has twisted and curled leaves that resemble a rope. It also has pink or white flowers that have a strong fragrance. Hoya carnosa Hindu Rope is a unique and eye-catching plant that can be grown in a hanging basket or pot. It likes bright light and dry soil.
- Hoya Compacta / Variegated Hindu Rope: This is a variation of hoya carnosa Hindu Rope that has variegated leaves with white or yellow margins. It also has pink or white flowers that have a sweet scent. Hoya compacta Variegated Hindu Rope is a rare and sought-after plant that can add some color and texture to your home. It likes bright light and well-draining soil.
- Hoya Krimson Princess: This is a hybrid of hoya carnosa and hoya lacunosa that has oval-shaped leaves with pink margins and splashes. It also has pink or white flowers that have a spicy fragrance. Hoya Krimson Princess is a lovely plant that can be grown as a vine or a bush. It likes bright indirect light and moist soil.